For as long as I could remember, I have not liked coconut in anything sweet. The only chocolate I never enjoyed was Bounty. How sad that it took me so long to discover how delicious and healthy this most easily available nut is. I started consuming EV coconut oil in things once the whole world started proclaiming its many advantages. And well, it grew on me.
I experimented with coconut in my baking and now I simply love it. I can create a whole new menu with things made from coconut. Tried coconut sugar ? It’s beautiful!
This is a beautiful cake and makes for a perfect tea time treat.
- 3 eggs
- 150 gms coconut sugar
- 100 gms plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75 gms melted butter
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp grated ginger or as per taste
- 1 pod of vanilla
- 1 coconut, cut in half and shredded (150 g)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- In a bowl beat the eggs and the coconut sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla pod.
- Fold in flour and baking powder.
- Add the melted butter.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and fold them into the cake batter together with coconut and ginger.
- Pour the batter into a cake loaf tin lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 50 minutes. Use a cake tester to see if done .
- Tip - Taste the cake batter and if u think the ginger isn't strong enough, you could add half a tsp of dried ginger powder.